Sunday, July 31, 2011

No more "Why?" questions

On the way to church today we drove over the Big Sioux River which is typically a SD looking river....dark brown and not one ounce of clarity that you'd see in a Colorado river.  It is always brown, but this week Sioux Falls had a rain storm which dropped anywhere from 3 to 5 inches on the city, depending on where you live. In order to not have raw sewage go into people's homes, the city opted to dump the raw sewage into the river to release the pressure on the system.  Thing 1 heard me talking to my sister about it as my sister was reminding me to stay away from parks by the river this week.  So, the questions started.

"Mom, is that the lake they dumped the poop into?"

"It's a river, J and yes, that's it."

"Mom, was it pee and poop they put in there?"

(Chuckling) "Yes."

"Were they floaters or sinkers, mom?"

"Well, I would imagine they were both, J. Kind of gross to think about though so can we change the subject?"

"I will never swim with my mouth open again, " she said matter of factly.

"Honey, you won't be swimming in that river, but overall, that's probably a good plan anyway."

We got to church and sat with one of J's favorite friends. This Sunday was a special Sunday with our church celebrating communion and baptisms.  Today was the first day I allowed J to take communion because she has asked Christ into her heart a few years ago and is slowly growing in Him so I thought maybe it was time.  I pulled her close to me and talked her through the whole process, explaining what an amazing thing Christ did for us on the cross and explained how we really need to clean our hearts by praying for forgiveness while we are waiting for everyone else to take their communion.  It was a moment I cherished, although it was bittersweet since I realized, my baby wasn't a baby anymore.

On the way home from church, out of the blue, J asked, "Mom, before Jesus died for our sins, was there a heaven and a hell?" I love when her mind thinks and I did my best to answer her question in a way she would understand.  It was then I realized that the little kid who asked "Why?" constantly had grown up and the advanced questions are just starting. Lord, give me wisdom to answer them and knowledge to know when to send her to someone who can if I can't.  Oh, and make all the poop sinkers, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment