Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Plight of the Rutabaga

This summer I'm changing things up a bit in my life.  One of them is health and I am currently eating lots of vegetables and drinking lots of water.  I've been doing this for about 2.5 weeks now and have noticed  a difference in my overall feeling of health, liking of life, energy level and so on.  However, I've got to admit I'm getting slightly sick of salads.  I counted back and I've had some form of lettuce every single day in the past 17.  It seems like no matter how I try to spice it up, make it exciting, change its appearance by adding other cute little cut up vegetables, it is just not going down as smoothly.  Take me out to a restaurant where they make it for me, and I'm a little happier.  But, overall, I knew I will probably be on this path for awhile so I better figure out some other vegetables I will eat.

That's where the rutabaga came into play.


Seriously, have you seen a weirder looking vegetable?  It took me two trips to the grocery store to actually find it and when I asked a kid in the helpful, smiley aisles, he stared at me blankly also not knowing what the heck a rutabaga looked like.  When I saw it, I was almost taken aback with its looks.  As I glanced through the other lucky produce in under the lights that were drizzled every once in awhile with fresh water so they glowed and remained fresh, I realized this thing in my hand was definitely the wallflower of vegetables...the last one to get asked to dance or go to prom or told they're pretty. So, I brought it home.

Once home, my girls and I stared at it for awhile trying to figure out how to eat it.  Thing 1 thought we could just peel it off and jump in and eat it.  Thing 2 said to just take a bite.  Something told me there was more to this odd looking vegetable than it appeared.

It had a thick skin and appeared not so tasty on the outside, but on the inside.....


Surprising isn't it?  It's pretty pure looking.  No seeds to fuss with removing.  No strange juices coming out.  Solid cleanliness. It may seem rather weird to turn this into something spiritual, but it was to me.  I realized that I probably look like a rutabaga to others (and most times to myself) but God looks so much deeper than the skin and outward appearance.  He knows that what counts is on the inside.  Even in the vegetables he created with strange names. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever eaten a rutabaga. How was it?

    When I get sick of salad, I try to get my spinach into my smoothies. Have you tried any green smoothies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried a green smoothie yet, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. I'm on a pretty strict regimen right now so I'm limited to what I could possibly add to those smoothies to help it be "smooth" (like I can't have dairy or fruit or fruit juice right now). But definitely something down the road.

    The rutabaga actually was tolerable. I don't think I baked it quite long enough, but I also had a turnip in there and it was perfect. If I had to choose, I'd choose the turnip. It held the flavors of the olive oil and seasonings I put on them (I just put garlic powder, paprika, and lawrys because that's all I had on hand....pathetic, I know). The rutabaga had a more powerful texture to it...almost more solid whereas the turnip was more potato like if that makes sense. But, my friends who said they boil the rutabaga say they're good so that might be my next adventure with them.

    ReplyDelete